Many different experiences and memories are packed in the word “college,” but most of it relates to studies. Independently from students’ specialization or expectations for a future career, most of them have to learn essay writing. Although this skill can seem unnecessary for technical professions, it is useful for almost every person who has to write official documents from time to time. College studies are a suitable time to develop your writing skills, so make sure to utilize them properly and make your learning easier using the following tricks.
Table of Contents
Prepare for the Essay Writing Process
So, you’ve got an essay assignment, and you have already studied the requirements and specifications given by the professor. If not, make sure to do it before writing, as it is much easier and quicker to do everything according to the guideline than correcting it afterward. Many students struggle with starting their essay, but a few tips can make this process easier, so you won’t think, “oh no, not the essay due tomorrow” again.
- Plan your time. One of the most troublesome ideas the student can have is starting a long paper a few hours before the submission deadline. Although many students hope that somehow it will save them, usually such papers written in a hurry do not improve their grades. Thus, if you have a long or complex essay to write, start thinking about it a few days before. If you have several free hours, it’s good to dedicate them to writing or preparing necessary information, so you shouldn’t attempt quick googling of something that will more or less satisfy the requirements.
- Create a non-distracting environment. Remove everything that disturbs you or draws your attention from writing. Unfortunately, this applies to mobile phones, social networks, or funny videos with kittens. Besides, it’s good to find optimal conditions for your writing. Some students prefer working in college libraries, other people write their papers in cafes, and for others, there is no better place than home. Probably you know where you feel the most comfortable, so try finding a quiet place there to make your thought flow freely.
- Analyze your weaknesses in advance. If you know where you can make a mistake, you are more likely to review and catch it before the essay submission. If you have grammar errors or English is not your first language, but you study in the USA, it’s helpful to utilize an online grammar checker. If you are likely to make your essay structure messy and tangled, re-read it after completion to express your thoughts clearly.
- Separate your writing process into smaller parts. Although you should not distract while writing, small treats along the way can help you keep going. For example, when you have finished one part of your essay, you can have some time to look for something other than a laptop screen, pour yourself a cup of tea, pet your cat or dog – choose anything that improves your mood.
Importance of Essay Writing Skills
Essay writing is a convenient technique, not a complicated science, as tricks and approaches from students’ essays can help create official documents or academic papers. Suppose you have to work for larger companies with numerous managerial levels. In that case, you may have to motivate your decisions or operational choices, and essay-like structure and thought clarity come in handy in this case. As for academia, meticulous writing of papers like research proposals, funding requests, and other official documents is as important for a successful scientist’s career as the ability to think independently and absorb new information quickly.
Still, a student who has just started their college or university studies can find essay writing complicated. These complications can come from unfamiliar style, an abundance of new formatting requirements, and overall stress over new learning organization. Many universities combine writing courses with other specialized subjects that request submission of tests, lab reports, or speeches, which increases a student’s workload even more. Besides, most professors give their students specialized assignments that require writing an expert essay. The student has to research credible and reliable academic sources and fit them into a professional writing style that doubles the effort and time necessary for the successful paper completion.
However, if you have doubts about your paper writing skills and possible grades, you can use custom help from college essay writing services. CustomWritings, for example, is an online essay service that provides support services for students who need additional guidance on essay writing. Experienced writers who specialize can create custom sample papers on various topics following all specific university and formatting guidelines. You can place an order on the website to buy a cheap sample essay and specify the paper length, deadline, and complexity, so the company can find the writer that fits your request the best. Besides, a customer can request additional explanations and comments on the writing process to use them for a future assignment.
Tips to Start, Structure, and Improve Your Essay
Finally, you have got to your essay. Ensure that you have enough time and nothing urgent requests your attention right now. So, here you can follow these simple steps to start writing the essay with ease – and finish being sure that you put a decent amount of effort into it.
- Write the essay outline. The outline is an essay skeleton that defines its future appearance. You can limit your outline to one or two sentences for each future paragraph. It is not necessary to elaborate on your ideas in full detail. You need to give yourself a general direction of thought or come up with something that you will develop in the future.
- Define the essay thesis and topic sentences. A thesis is your essay’s heart, and it is the main idea that you try to express to your reader. The thesis statement appears at the end of the introduction, and topic sentences specify arguments you use to motivate this idea. Topic sentences appear at the beginning of separate paragraphs. However, it is necessary to support them with arguments.
- Develop and connect your arguments. Here you can use academic sources, your experience or conclusions, or statistics to demonstrate that the reader should trust your statements. Try not to rely on emotions too much – this style is unfit for the academic text. However, emotions are more appropriate in more personalized reflection papers that should be centered on analyzing one’s experience and drawing conclusions.
- Double-check all minor details. Final reviews can seem time-consuming, but they are necessary to top the persuasive essay content with an excellent formatting quality. This stage is the time for grammar check, polishing your style, and reviewing references. If you are sure that you have followed the guidelines and created an original and creative paper from scratch – it’s time to submit it and be an optimist!